Skills Acquisition training and lecture to the youths of Apiawoyi community in Karu LGA, Nasarawa State, on the occasion of the International Youth Day (IYD) 2020
Youth Engagement for Global Action.
Youths in the Apiawoyi community.
The theme of International Youth Day (IYD) 2020, “Youth Engagement for Global Action” seeks to highlight the ways in which the engagement of the young people at the local, national and global levels is enriching national and multilateral institutions and processes, as well as draw lessons on how their representation and engagement in formal institutional politics can be significantly enhanced.
Enabling the engagement of youth in formal political mechanisms does increase the fairness of political processes by reducing democratic deficits, contributes to better and more sustainable policies, and also has symbolic importance that can further contribute to restoring trust in public institutions, especially among youth. Moreover, the vast majority of challenges humanity currently faces, such as the COVID- 19 outbreak and climate change require concerted global action and the meaningful engagement and participation of young people to be effectively addressed.
The aim of IYD 2020 is to shed light on the need to enable the engagement of youth by making local, national and global institutions more inclusive for the purpose of strengthening their capacity (and relevance) to achieve global action.
This year’s IYD seeks to put the spotlight on youth engagement through the following three interconnected streams:
- Engagement at the local/ community level;
- Engagement at the national level (formulation of laws, policies, and their implementation); and
- Engagement at the global level.
By the directive of the UN to be part of the celebrations by organizing your own event or activity to celebrate the IYD in your community, school, youth club, or workplace, the Destiny Transformers Initiative was at the Apiawoyi Community, Massaka- Nasarawa State, to celebrate the day with the youths of Apiawoyi community.
In line with the sustainable development Goal 1 (No Poverty) and Goal 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth), to sustain per capita economic growth in accordance with national circumstances and, in particular, at least 7 percent gross domestic product growth per annum in the developing countries, achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification, technological upgrading and innovation, including through a focus on high- value-added labor and labor-intensive sectors; and to promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men, including for young people and persons living with disabilities, the Destiny Transformers Initiative in continuous support and collaboration with the United Nation and the international community, engaged the youths of Apiawoyi community of Nasarawa State on skills acquisition and capacity development training. A lecture was delivered to them on “How to be Self- independent (A focus on Personal Development) and the youths were also trained on kpof-kpof (doughnuts) production. The day was indeed a huge success, as the youths were highlighted on how to start their own business, and to develop their local community. The celebration ended with a good refreshment, and the kpof-kpof (doughnuts) produced by the youths were also served as part of the refreshment.
However, some major challenges were observed/ encountered, ranging from sponsoring and empowering the youths of the community in trained skills, in order to be self-reliant and financially independent. Another major challenge in the community is the lack of electricity, which has hampered the youths and the people of the community in engaging in businesses that need a power supply. In view of these challenges, the foundation calls on other corporate bodies and NGOs, and the Nigerian government to come in and assist in this course, and to help in creating a larger platform and opportunity of training these eager and ready-to-learn youths, and in a way of empowerment, to give them the needed enablement to become self-employed and self-reliant in life, which would lead them in the long run into becoming employers of labor. This would go a long way to reducing crimes, prostitution and social vices in the community, and lead to the development of the community. The foundation also importantly calls on the government to look into providing electricity in this community.
The overall objective was to celebrate the International Youth Day with the youths of the Apiawoyi community of Nasarawa State and to train them in skills acquisition in line with the theme of the celebration, Youth Engagement for Global Action.
- To create a global awareness for the youths of Apiawoyi.
- To create a sense of financial independence in the youths of Apiawoyi.
- To teach the youths the ICT skills to relevant in the 21st
- To instill in their minds the art of business, and to empower the youths.
- To enable the youths to have deserved job opportunities in the future.
- The youths were gathered and DTI had a profitable discussion with them, focusing on their major challenges as individuals and as a community.
- Delivering a lecture on How to be Financial Independent and Self- reliant by Mr. Alex Panmi followed by an interactive section with the youths.
- Arrangement of the youths for the skills acquisition teaching.
- Training of the youths on how to prepare Kpof-kpof (Doughnut) by Dorcas Olenga.
- Production of Kpof-kpof (Doughnut) by the youths of Apiawoyi.
- The interview section of some selected youths and the MPF members of staff.
The target of achieving the theme of the 2020 International Youth Day at the local level was attained. The youths were brought to the light of the global opportunities and prospects and were further challenged to bring the right change and development to their immediate and expanded environment.
- Lack of financial sponsorship.
- Lack of electricity in the community.
- Poor attention of the government on these prospective youths.
The youths are the engine room, and indeed the future of any nation. This is a time in the life of an individual when more attention and focus must be taken as a priority if we must have a better tomorrow as a nation. In order to achieve a greater Nigeria, the government must indeed pay closer attention to the affairs and well-being of its youths.
It is thereby recommended that:
- The government, through the relevant agencies and NGOs, should do more in the areas of youth development and empowerment.
- The government should create more skill acquisition programs to enable them to have a source of livelihood to be financially independent and self-reliant.
- The government should also put in place programs through which the youths can give back to societal and national development, instead of indulging in crimes and drug abuse.
- Other NGOs and corporate bodies should put hands together to create relevant and profiting programs for the youths.
The place of the youths in the development and sustenance of any nation cannot be overemphasized. It is therefore expedient to put in place the relevant programs for the education, development and empowerment of the youths, to have long positive effects on the development of the nation at large. Thanks to the UN for giving the global youths the opportunity to celebrate this day. All authorities must put hands together to achieve the realization of sustainable development goal 1 (No poverty), goal 2 (Zero hunger), goal 3 (Quality education), and goal 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth.